Career Opportunity – Mold Repair Technician, Molding Department
The Mold Repair Technician repairs existing and new molds used in the molding department. This would include but not be limited to: examining mold, repairing cracks and holes, removing residue blemishes, corrosion, and similar defects from interior of molds. Repairs and/or makes fixtures, inserts, and other duties and custodial/cleanup on molds and equipment, for the department as necessary. Functions as a Mold Setter when necessary.
Key competencies include:
- Inspects interior surfaces of mold to locate pits, holes, blemishes or other defects;
- Positions molds for work;
- Transports mold to and from press using a tow motor or crane;
- Utilizes hazardous energy control procedures;
- Performs machining and other techniques/methods to repair defects and smooth interior of mold;
- Repairs or puts in new inserts to mold.
- Repair Hydraulics/ Electrical Components on Molds
- Repairs and/or makes fixtures;
- Troubleshoots and handles problems with molds (and presses), cleans nozzles and plastic residue;
- Repairs molds, disassembles molds, clean and re-assemble molds following all safety precautions & overhead hoist safety.
- Re-racks mold and add location of mold in IQMS ERP system
- Performs Mold Setter duties when needed;
- Performs other duties as assigned and directed.
- Follows All ISO Procedures
- Inspect Transfer molds completing all paperwork requirements.
- Recommend any improvements to Molds as needed.
Education: High school education or higher
Knowledge: An ability to read and write. Good math skills and must be knowledgeable on injection molds and components of molds. Knowledge of how to repair molds, positioning molds for work, safe lifting practices, and fixture repair and building. Must be able to judge and measure tolerances and use micrometers.
Experience: At least 3-4 years experience in the machining, repair of molds, setting and processing molds on plastic injection machines, mold machining including repair equipment, overhead hoists and lift trucks. Must have a current valid Driver’s License.
Quality: Follow regulatory, company and departmental procedures implicitly. In the execution of their job functions, Mold Repair personnel must focus on the quality aspect of their activities. Each assigned activity has at least an indirect if not direct impact on the profitability of the department. Doing the job right the first time and in a timely manner is important to meeting management expectations.
Independent Judgment: Moderate. Performs duties with moderate supervision, makes some independent judgments when repairing/setting/removing molds. Also, utilizes independent judgments when diagnosing issues and repair decisions. Must be able to work without being closely supervised.
Physical Exertion: Routinely lifts 55 lbs. Requires lifting of heavy items; job requires being on feet most of the shift, bends, twists, stoops, walks, lifts and extensively uses hands, wrists and shoulders, legs, waist, and back, uses hand/eye coordination to set/move mold, drive tow motor and fill hoppers; has to work with and around heat and dusts; must be able to climb and work comfortably at heights, in tight places and uncomfortable positions. Must be able to exert enough pressure to securely tighten mold bolts, connections, and hook-ups.
Tools: Ratchets, knives, screw driver, hammer, wrenches, pry bars, Precision Measuring Tools, mills, bolts, clippers, pliers, sanders, channel locks, overhead crane, markers, pencils, automatic floor sweepers, brushes, tow motors, tape machines, band machines, truck docks, tags, locks, absorbents, rags, gloves, dust masks, glasses/goggles, and ladders.
Attendance: Must be in attendance on a regular, full time basis and conform to all Company Attendance Policies. Due to the nature of this position and limited number of personnel performing this function, attendance is of utmost importance. The Mold Repair must be available to work all shifts and overtime (including weekends) as necessary/required.
Hourly Bargaining Unit, eligible for overtime.
Interested individuals should fill out our online application. In-person applications are not accepted at our facility.
Ferriot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.