Career Opportunity – Mold Setter/Die Setter, Molding Department
The Mold Setter performs all the mold set-up functions for production’s needs within the department. This would include but not be limited to: setting molds in injection plastic machines with all related connections and hook-ups, processing set-ups, testing dials and controls, performing general service duties and custodial/clean-up on equipment and for the department as necessary. Troubleshoots problems with mold operations, performs minor mold maintenance/repair, assists foreman with machine and equipment related problems.
Key competencies include:
- Cleans mold mounting surfaces before setting mold
- Sets up and removes molds in the injection molding process;
- Lines up mold and sprue bushing in preparation of mounting the mold in the press;
- Transports mold to and from press using a tow motor or crane;
- Utilizes hazardous energy control procedures;
- Performs all auxiliary set up duties, all connections, hooks up with water lines, air lines, thermolators, hoses, and hydraulic lines, cores, and knock out plates;
- Starts production, processes set ups, adjusts press, and performs start ups on presses as directed;
- Troubleshoots and handles problems with molds and presses;
- Assists foremen with machine and equipment problems, cleans and lubricates mold surfaces before & after production;
- Fills in for foremen as directed pertaining to machine scheduling and shift production;
- Updates shop order, process documentation, work instructions as required
- Performs general service activities when needed;
- Repairs molds, disassembles molds following all safety precautions & overhead hoist safely;
- Communicates specific job requirements to following shift personnel;
- Performs other duties as assigned and directed.
Education: High school education or higher
Knowledge: An ability to read and write. Must be able to follow verbal as well as written instructions and measure accurately.
Experience: At least 2 years experience in the set-up of molds on plastic injection machines or experience equivalent and driving a tow motor. Must have a current valid Driver’s License. Processing operation of molding equipment and robots
Independent Judgment: Moderate. Performs duties with moderate supervision, makes some independent judgments when setting/removing molds. Also, utilizes independent judgments when assisting shift foreman or filling in for shift foreman, taking inventory.
Quality: Follow regulatory, company and departmental procedures implicitly. In the execution of their job functions, Mold Setter personnel must focus on the quality aspect of their activities. Each assigned activity has at least an indirect if not direct impact on the profitability of the department. Doing the job right the first time and in a timely manner is important to meeting management expectations.
Physical Exertion: Routinely lifts 25-75 lbs. Requires lifting of heavy items; job requires being on feet most of the shift, bends, twists, stoops, walks, lifts and extensively uses hands, wrists and shoulders, legs, waist, and back, uses hand/eye coordination to set/move mold, drive tow motor and fill hoppers; has to work with and around heat and dusts; must be able to climb and work comfortably at heights, in tight places and uncomfortable positions. Must be able to exert enough pressure to securely tighten mold bolts, connections, and hook-ups.
Tools: Ratchets, knives, screw driver, hammer, wrenches, pry bars, molds cans/drums, mixing tumblers, parts scale, staple machine, mills, bolts, clippers, pliers, sanders, funnels, channel locks, overhead crane, markers, pencils, conveyor ramps, automatic floor sweepers, brushes, vacuum loaders, tow motors, tape machines, band machines, truck docks, tags, locks, absorbents, rags, gloves, dust masks, glasses/goggles, and ladders.
Attendance: Must be in attendance on a regular, full time basis and conform to all Company Attendance Policies. Due to the nature of this position and limited number of personnel performing this function, attendance is of utmost importance. The Mold Setter must be available to work all shifts and overtime (including weekends) as necessary/required.
Hourly bargaining unit non-exempt. This is an “at will” position.
Interested individuals should fill out our online application. In-person applications are not accepted at our facility.
Ferriot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.