Career Opportunity – Project Engineer, Engineering Department
The Project Engineer – Engineering Department leads and manages technical projects across disciplinary lines from inception to project readiness. The engineer provides technical leadership and management for new product projects as assigned, effectively communicates and reports project progress and issues to all project stakeholders, assumes responsibility for the overall financial and schedule status of projects assigned, and works with suppliers to ensure projects are on budget, on time, and meet expectations.
The position demands the ability to make independent judgments and the ability to perform duties with minimal supervision.
Key competencies include:
- Effectively communicating using ERP system and standard reporting mechanisms available.
- Professionally interfacing with customers, suppliers, and Ferriot employees.
- Preparing cost estimates and customer quotations for tooling and support equipment.
- Participating in quoting process.
- Reviewing customer designs to identify manufacturing issues, poor steel conditions, cost reductions, quality improvements.
- Developing, maintaining, and publishing project timelines using IQMS system and other available resources.
- Developing project budget & assuming responsibility for financial performance of projects.
- Scheduling and leading project review meetings.
- Providing oversight for all activities in project.
- Acting as primary technical and project contact with customers.
- Tracking and managing project scope changes to ensure schedule and financial issues are properly documented and resolved.
- Coordinating with other departments and people in support of project.
- Negotiating workable solutions when conflicting priorities arise.
- Escalating project issues and deterrents when appropriate.
- Working closely with all fellow personnel to achieve departmental and company goals.
- Approaching challenges with a bias for permanent and robust solutions and continual improvement.
- Performing for other duties and functions as assigned.
Manager of Engineering
Education: B.S. in Plastics / Polymer / Mechanical or related engineering discipline. Equivalent experience may be considered. Project Management certification is desirable. Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt certification is desirable. A mold-making background is a plus.
Knowledge: Must have demonstrable project management skills. Must have solid knowledge of injection molding processes and operations. Scientific molding experience a plus. Must have solid knowledge of injection mold tooling design and construction. Must have good working knowledge of engineering and commodity resins. Must have good working knowledge of drafting and tolerancing techniques, including G. D. & T. Must basic 3-D CAD skills and able to operate CAD systems for translating, viewing, and modification of customer design files. Must have good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Knowledge of formal project management methods and project management software is desirable. Good working knowledge of mold-filling analysis a plus.
Experience: Must have a minimum of 10 years in injection molding, tooling, and engineering Must have solid experience in managing mold suppliers, both domestic and offshore.
Independent Judgment: Constant. Performs duties with little supervision, regularly makes independent judgments. Must make independent decisions when required as to equipment, production and people problems. Job requires leadership abilities.
Quality: Follow regulatory, company, and departmental procedures implicitly. In the execution of the job function, the Project Engineer must focus on high quality in all activities.
Physical Exertion: Routinely lifts 10 lbs. or more. Occasionally requires lifting of heavy items; job may require being on feet most of the shift, bends, twists, stoops, walks, lifts and extensively uses hands, wrists and shoulders, legs waist and back; uses hand/eye coordination to assist in manufacturing operations, as well as tasks involved in a typical office environment.
Tools: Is expected to use tools typically associated with engineering and tooling, such as wrenches, micrometers, screwdrivers, measurement devices, sight magnifiers, pencils, paper, telephones, paging system, PC computer, network system, staplers, copy machines, calculators, etc.
Attendance: Must be in attendance on a regular, full time basis and conform to all Company Attendance Policies. The Project Engineer must be available and willing to work other shifts and overtime (including weekends) as necessary/required.
Salary Exempt. This is an “at will” position.
Interested individuals should fill out our online application. In-person applications are not accepted at our facility.
Ferriot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.