Career Opportunity – Quality Technician, Quality Department, Second or Third Shift
Quality Technician – Quality Department, Second or Third Shift, performs a variety of testing procedures for the quality department. This includes, but is not limited to, performing various quality functions including program and operation of the CMM; Optical 3D scanner; maintaining and following ISO guidelines, functioning as metrology liaison with other departments, customers, and vendors; performing inspection on molded and finished products and tools, including use of calipers, micrometers, pin gauges, optical comparator and assists in the development of quality procedures; instructs inspectors and production employees on proper quality techniques. Maintains Ferriot Gauge Control Program, including gauge calibration, R&R studies and other related duties.
This position is for either Second Shift, 3:00 p.m. – 11:00 p.m., or Third Shift, 11:00 p.m. – 7:00 a.m.
Key competencies include:
- Performs inspections on molded and finished products as well as tooling.
- Performs first article inspections and layouts of plastic injection molded parts.
- Perform Gage Repeatability and Reproducibility studies (GR&R studies).
- Create part measuring programs utilizing Polyworks and PC-DMIS.
- Part measuring utilizing the Coordinate Measuring Machine (CMM)/PC-DMIS, Aicon Scanner/ Polyworks, and various other measuring devices (calipers, micrometers, pin gauges and optical comparators).
- Prioritize incoming work to ensure continuous operation of the lab and deliver timely and accurate measurement results.
- Troubleshooting to address equipment and or measuring process issues in the metrology lab.
- Assist in maintaining company gauge control program which includes performing gauge calibration checks.
- Develop and deliver data presentations to customers, suppliers and peers as needed.
- Recommends and implements procedures necessary to meet customer quality needs, handles customer requests/questions, changes and information as necessary.
- Participates and performs functions necessary for quality audits including assistance developing quality procedures, customer surveys, and maintaining ISO compliance relating to the Metrology departments area of responsibility.
- Ensures overall safety within quality department, including safety practices, procedures, and policies.
- Inputs information on computer, recommends, develops and performs quality record keeping and documentation.
- Liaisons with other departments and represents the quality department.
- Performs and is responsible for other duties and functions as delegated, directed and necessary.
Senior Quality Technician
Education: High school education or higher. Two-year technical degree preferred.
Knowledge: Operation of a coordinate measuring machine (CMM) and optical 3D scanner including understanding or ability to learn PC-DMIS and Polyworks. Familiar with Advanced Product Quality Planning including FMEA, Control Plan, etc.; working understanding of product approval submission requirements (PPAP, FAI, etc.). Must be able to read and have fundamental understanding of blueprints including GD&T. Must be able to calibrate and validate gauges and maintain Gauge Control Program. Knowledge of quality assurance in injection molded products and tools, including SPC, TQM, ISO and quality testing. Must have a good math/geometry background. An ability to use and input on computers and an ability to communicate effectively. Demonstrate and understand measurement concepts with the ability to interpret measurement data.
Experience: Two years experience in a quality technician or related capacity programming and operating CMM and 3D measurement systems. Ability to read drawings and have a working knowledge of geometric dimensioning and tolerancing. Experience with common measuring tools such as calipers, micrometers, height gauge, etc.
Quality: Follows operational procedures. Must be attentive to details with zero defects the goal. It is extremely important to focus on quality of work first so as to dramatically reduce rejects. Handles and protects all parts with utmost care. May guide and assist in supervising quality inspectors in performing their duties.
Physical Exertion: Lifts 25 lbs. or less. This job requires standing and walking periodically through the workday. Uses hands, wrists, and shoulders and hand/eye coordination. Periodically bending, twisting, stooping, and use of the back depending on the size of the part. Has to climb stairs when necessary to make copies and obtain part from sample part storage. Works around heat and dust when out on the production floor.
Tools: Micrometers, calipers, tolerance testing devices, scales, rulers, height gage, CMM, pencils, paper, pens, pin gauges, optical comparator, inserts, Microsoft based systems, blueprints, various measuring devises, written procedures, computers, printers, paper, rolling part carts, telephones, paper clips, markers, files, safety equipment, (when required), copy machines, digital camera, bulletin boards, tacks, and clip boards.
Attendance: Must be in attendance on a regular, fulltime basis and conform to all company attendance policies. Must be available and willing to work all shifts and overtime (including weekends) as necessary/required.
Salary Exempt. This is an “at will” position.
Interested individuals should fill out our online application. In-person applications are not accepted at our facility.
Ferriot, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.